On June 4th the Welsh Government issued the following documents and statements relating to the Brexit and our Land consultation, which outlined how WG will replace the Common Agricultural Policy in Wales:
- A summary of responses to the first Brexit and our Land consultation
- Welsh Government’s response to the consultation responses
- The Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs oral response
- Evidence Pack – Current state of Welsh Agriculture
12,203 responses were submitted to the first Brexit and our Land consultation, and the Welsh Government made a statement explaining how it has amended its policy proposals in response to the consultation. The statement includes:
- A clear message the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) is ending as the UK leaves the EU, with future payments aimed at those who manage land, rather than land ownership.
- WG will combine the previously proposed Economic Resilience and Public Goods schemes into a single sustainable farming scheme
- This new scheme will include two support measures.
o Sustainable Farm Payments will pay farmers to deliver public goods such as improving air and water quality, storing carbon, enhancing wildlife and mitigating flood risk.
o Business Development Measures will support farmers to improve profitability and efficiency, for example through investing in technology, infrastructure or farm equipment, and offering training and advice.
- The Environment (Wales) Act 2016 and the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 will form the basis of future policy, with the with the overall objective of delivering sustainable land management.
As of yet, no decisions have been made on the timetable for reform because of Brexit uncertainty. Furthermore, there will be no changes until a further consultation and relevant impact assessments have been completed. We are expecting WG to launch its next consultation in early July, prior to the Royal Welsh Show. NFFN Wales will be responding to the consultation and will be in touch with members over the summer to ask for views and comments. So, watch this space!